Sunday, April 13, 2008

Music and Tangible Grace

I'm a music junkie. I love it. It's what moves me; it's my opiate; it's my heroine drip. It's precisely what has the ability to take me beyond any palpable seam of time and texture. I've often had conversations with friends that no other form of art can do such a thing. What has ensued has been endless debates, but still I remain firm in my position. But what is it about music that moves me?

My sense is that music has saved my life over and over. As a young man having my heart broken and dealing with the loss of love, it was music that kept me connected in the face of the violence imposed by unrequited or forgotten love. As a child trying to sleep at night burdened with anxiety over the unknown, it was the sound of the old hymns my mother would play that kept me connected to her in the face of all that was changing. The music she played was rich and complex, its harmonies painful then joyful, its rhythms slow with sorrow, or dancing with exuberance. By listening to music, I feel as if there is a world that can hold me...can hold all of us. In a sense, music makes God's grace tangible.

3 comments:

Mike Bailey said...

so just yesterday on a bike ride, pumping my legs to the music on my ipod, i thought this. i would be a different person if i had never been introduced to the beatles. i mean that. not just a band i liked. they were a transition into adulthood. they directed it. they increased my yearning, made me open to new lines of thought, just awakened me, letting me see this new and exciting "adult world." i'm sure they helped shape or direct my future tastes not only in music but in a lot of other things. early teenage friendships were forged around our love of the beatles (which was weird given they were well before our time), some of which survive today. they were "beatles people," and so that said something important about them. even today i find it tempting not to dismiss people as unserious in my mind depending on their music or book or movie or art tastes.

also simon and garfunkel had the same effect. i was introduced into adult romantic yearning by their song, emily, whenever i may find her. not a "nice song." a NEW BLOODY WORLD.

dude, if this is the third time i posted this thing, i'm sorry. blogger.com kept rejecting my comments. probably knew they were ridiculous

jonbon said...

thanks, mb. from one music junkie to another.

methinks the catholic church should make music an 8th sacrament. i'd consider joining.

The Blonde said...

Wow! This is weird! I knew you a looong time ago when I attended HPBC. I happened to see you on my sister's Facebook and then ran across your blog on your profile.

It is always refreshing (and quite rare!)to find an interesting blog. I especially like what you had to say about music. I am also a "music junkie" and I think you put it extremely well when you said "music makes God's grace tangible".

Anyway, it's fun to catch up on the lives of childhood acquaintances!

Janille Myers